Well I’m back on the workout wagon and trying to watch what I eat. I like to eat really filling, protein filled meals but I can’t give up the carbs either. Which is why this dinner idea for my Ground Beef and Bean Casserole fits the bill perfectly. I crave it, I could eat it everyday, and I never get tired of it.
For dinner ideas, my first stop is always the first cookbook I ever bought myself: Betty Crocker’s New Cookbook. I’m one of those people who can make a recipe (like this one) a million times and still have to look at the recipe every time. As you can see from this page of the cookbook, I make this recipe a lot.
Recipes usually evolve over time, and that’s what happened with this one. We have taken the original recipe and mixed it up a bit to suit our tastes. I hope your family enjoys it too!
Dinner Idea: Ground Beef and Bean Casserole
5.0 from 1 reviews
Print Dinner Idea: Ground Beef and Bean Casserole Author: Adapted from Betty Crocker’s Mexican Beef & Bean Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 cup (hot or mild) chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup reduced fat cheese, shredded
- Heat the oven to 375.
- Cook the beef or turkey in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it’s fully cooked through (about 10 minutes.)
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, mix the meat, beans, salsa, and chili powder together.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and remove foil. Stir, and then top with the cheese. Bake uncovered for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Super easy to make! It’s a simple dinner idea that I bet would do just fine if you make it in a crock pot too (after you’ve cooked the meat.)
I usually make it with ground turkey, but had some ground beef on hand which is what I used in the photo above. Either way, Jason and I both love it and I make this recipe at least once a week. Top it off with some fresh green onions and cilantro and it’s good to go. If I’m making it for just me and Jason, I leave the cheese off – he’s not a fan and since I’m watching what I am eating, I just sprinkle a tiny bit on my helping so I don’t feel like I’m depriving myself.
Looking for more dinner ideas or easy casserole recipes? This Chicken Casserole With Veggies, Pasta, and Cheese is another quick and easy casserole to throw together on a weeknight. as is this Pork Chop and Rice-A-Roni casserole. This Buffalo Chicken and Cheesy Potatoes casserole is always a hit too. What’s great about all of these recipes is that you can make them in advance and pop them in the oven to heat up!
If you are still looking for other dinner ideas, I have more casserole recipes to share on my Casseroles Pinterest board.