You guys! I’m super excited because I just realized that the time changes (springs forward!) soon! It stays light later. It stays darker in the morning. Oh, how I love the time change! So when does the time change? This weekend! At 2 AM on Sunday, March 8th, set your clocks ahead one hour. Well, unless you’re in college you probably won’t be up then, so do it before you go to sleep on Saturday night.
I’ve come up with a list of those household duties that you probably never even think about until something happens that brings them to your attention. So do it twice a year…when the time changes! Save this post and put it on your calendar to re-read every time change when your clocks spring ahead or fall back. You’ll never forget to do these chores again!
When Does The Time Change?
- Change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors Don’t wait until the detectors start chirping to change the batteries! Change the batteries when you change your clocks and you’ll know that the detectors are properly working. I went through my house and counted them all, and bought enough batteries for the year specifically for this task.
- Change the air conditioning vent filters This is a task I never thought about until last summer when we thought our air conditioner was going out. We checked the filters, and they were absolutely disgusting…air couldn’t get through them at all! So we decided to change the filters every time we changed the batteries in the detectors.
- Reverse the direction on your ceiling fans Sounds silly, but doing this will help you keep the temperatures in rooms with ceiling fans at the right temperature. When you “spring ahead” in the Spring, the fan should rotate counter clockwise to cool the rooms. In the Fall when you “fall back”, the fan’s direction should be switched to clockwise to pull down the warm air. Think of the money you will save on your home’s heating and cooling!
- Flip your mattresses This task is a tedious one, but can help with the longevity of your mattresses. If you have mattresses that are not supposed to be flipped, you can rotate them.
- Check your pantry, fridge, and medicine cabinets for expired products Time to purge! Get rid of any expired food or medicine. As you are doing this, you may want to have a notepad handy to note items that need to be replaced. There’s nothing worse than getting a migraine and realizing that your migraine medication is gone.
So when does the time change? Soon. Very soon. In just a few days. I’m very excited about this because it means spring and summer are coming! And there are many tasks other than the ones noted above that you can include on your semi-annual list of to-do’s with each time change. You can clean out your kids closets and toys, rotate your winter/summer clothing, check to see if you have any vehicles or appliances that need repairs or maintenance, and start your spring cleaning list of chores.
What other tasks or reminders would you add to this When Does The Time Change chores list?