I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how amazing/challenging/crazy motherhood is. I can’t believe how fast time flies by, and how many things I wish we could do over again. Things I never would have thought would make me so happy, sad, wistful, proud, embarrassed…it’s so many emotions. There are lots of things that happen when you become a mom. You love someone like you’ve never loved before. You think (and worry!) about your little bundle of joy constantly. Life changes; in some ways for the better and in some ways for the worst. Sleep becomes a low priority. Your life centers around the baby. You worry about things you’ve never even considered pre-baby. And every day they do something new which you think is the coolest thing ever…until the next day when they do something even cooler.
I started jotting down things (as they happened) and my list keeps growing. These are the things to expect after becoming a mom that I wish someone had told me. I think I started thinking so much about it because my baby brother is expecting a baby in September and we keep teasing him about how much his life is going to change…basically we keep telling him all the crappy stuff! I know, I know…there are so many good things too. But it’s much more fun to tease him about the crappy stuff.
Things To Expect After Becoming A Parent: The Crappy Stuff
What you don’t know when you become a parent is that you will also become a walking multi-purpose cloth, a jungle gym, and a punching bag.
- You will have boogers wiped on you. Sometimes on your clothes. Often on furniture, walls, and bedding. And when you least expect it, on your face or hands. Getting vomit and/or poop happens less often, but it will happen.
- You will also use your clothes to wipe boogers off of kids. It’s not something you plan or want to do, but it does happen.
- You will sit on the couch and be climbed all over. Your comfort is of no importance. And it won’t just happen on the couch. It will be in bed, in the bathroom, while trying to do just about anything.
- You will be poked, prodded, pinched, and bitten. And it usually happens when you least expect it.
- If you think you are a patient person, just wait. The challenge to see just how patient you really are will be challenged on a regular basis. Sometimes minute-by-minute.
- Like sleep, privacy becomes a thing of the past.
- You will hide snacks. Because if the kids see that you have one, you’ll have to share. And sometimes you need something just for yourself.
- You will read the same books over and over (and over) again until you know some of them by heart.
- You will say ridiculous things that only sound ridiculous to people who don’t have kids.
- You will become a master of negotiation and compromising…anything to avoid a tantrum or toddler meltdown.
Things To Expect After Becoming A Parent: The Good Stuff
But don’t worry! With the bad also comes good. Things that heavily out number the crap you have to deal with that you never imagined.
- You will get unconditional love and endless snuggles, hugs, and kisses (until they become teenagers, that is).
- You will share belly laughs that you will cherish.
- You will also experience pride that will make your chests swell up when the kids do something awesome.
- You get to see them grow and become amazing people.
- You will love showing off your baby and all the cool things that he or she can do.
- You will enjoy it, even after all the crappy stuff that happens daily, you will still enjoy it.
I know there’s so many more things…what would you add to my lists?