There are lots of things that make me happy. Being able to work from home, being able to afford to take the kids on vacation this summer, spending time with family and friends…the list goes on and on.
But I think it’s really the little things that make me happiest. The things that happen during the day that I sometimes (lots of the time) take for granted. Here are ten things that make me happy every day.
1. Watching the hummingbirds from my office window. They flutter about so busily, and when the stop to take a break, I hold my breath and watch them. They are so tiny and graceful.
2. Laughing with the kids. I LOVE when the kids and I laugh together. It’s one of my favorite sounds in the world because it means that they are happy.
3. Being left alone to read. This one rarely happens, but when it does it’s heaven! Normally I try to read while the kids are playing outside and I have to stop every few sentences to help someone with something. It takes away from the story. So being left to read with abandon? It’s one of my favorite things.
4. Wine. Need I say more?
5. Cooking for my family. While I probably don’t do it as often as I should, there’s nothing like a big home cooked meal. With Jason’s crazy schedule, I get away with just feeding the kids, and they’re so picky it’s not worth me making a meal they won’t eat. So when I get a chance to cook, I always take it.
6. Music. When I work, I always have music on. And when I cook or clean or anything else around the house, I always have music on. Growing up, my dad always had music on and so I guess it reminds me of my childhood.
7. Flowers. Walking through my backyard and seeing everything bloom instantly relaxes me and makes me happy. I even started buying fresh flowers every week (the last few weeks they have been peonies from Trader Joe’s…aren’t they gorgeous?)
8. Summer’s here! No schedules, no getting the kids up and out the door…we are on island time.
9. The anticipation of Season 3 of Orange is the New Black.
10. Oh yeah, these guys too. Every.single.day.
I know it’s supposed to be ten things, but here’s #11. Writing this! I miss writing just to write. Expect to see more of it!
What makes you happy?
This post was written for Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop, Prompt 2: List ten things that make you HAPPY.