My whole family loves my breakfast Tater Tot Casserole recipe. It’s super easy, fast to throw together and can be made ahead of time. I also like to make a double batch and freeze half before I cook it. Then the next time I need breakfast in a hurry, I have it ready to cook!
This breakfast style tater tot casserole recipe is my go-to recipe for brunch potlucks because everybody likes eggs, bacon and/or sausage, and eggs for breakfast. I’m sharing with you because I know you’ll probably like this tater tot casserole recipe just as much as we do! It also happens to be one of my Top 10 most viewed recipes on my blog. Enjoy!
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe: Breakfast Style
- 1 pound bacon cut into pieces, andouille sausage, or ground pork breakfast sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 pounds tater tots (frozen)...I use either the extra crispy or onion ones
- Chopped green onions, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the bacon or sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and spread evenly in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Spread 1/2 of the cheese over the meat.
- In large bowl, beat together milk and eggs. Pour over cheese. At this point, if you are making this recipe ahead, it can be refrigerated overnight. Top with tater tots and salt, pepper, or other seasonings before baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Add the rest of the cheese and cook another 10 minutes. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
You can also make this in a crock pot! Follow Steps 1 & 2. Instead of putting the bacon and cheese in a pan, put it in your crock pot. Then complete Step 3. When you are ready to cook it, set the crock pot to cook on Low for about 4 hours. It comes out perfectly!
If you want to save yourself some time, use my recipe to oven fry the bacon and sausage while you are doing the other prep work.
I also have a tater tot casserole recipe for dinner that’s also a big hit!
If you’re looking for other hearty, comfort food type casseroles, check out all of my Casserole Recipes.