This healthy Curry Chicken recipe is a staple at our house. It’s easy to make and it’s good for you. The recipe originally came from the Dr. Atkins (all protein) diet, and the first time we ate it, we were hooked! Since years ago when we first started eating it, it has morphed several times into what it is today. You can put your own spin on it too!
Healthy Curry Chicken Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound chicken breast fillets, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper (less if you like less "heat", or more if you like a lot of spice!)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup of onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup coconut milk -or- heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Optional: frozen peas and/or carrots, roasted broccoli
- Heat butter in a heavy casserole over medium-high heat until foam from butter subsides. Add chicken strips and cook in batches until browned, 5 minutes per batch.
- Add spices, onions, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Add hot water and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Add vegetables.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and sauce to a serving plate. Garnish with cilantro. Serve over brown rice.
Fast, easy, yummy, and healthy curry chicken recipe! If you want to make preparation even faster, you can buy cooked chicken from the deli counter and chop it up and throw it in instead of cooking chicken. Another tip would be to buy already prepared curry seasoning and use about two to three tablespoons instead of buying turmeric, cumin, ginger, and cayenne pepper (but the homemade way does taste better).
Looking for more ways to get creative with chicken? Check out all of my chicken recipes…Cilantro Lime Chicken is another one of our favorites. I’ve also got more healthy recipes here. Still want more? You can visit my Healthy Eats and Chicken board on Pinterest.