It’s soup weather here again…or more specifically it was three days ago. Yesterday and today? Mid 80s. Three days ago? It was raining and cold. Gotta love So Cal weather!
So a few days ago, it was the perfect weather for soup, and I thought it was time to pull out a good soup recipe. So many people loved my Albondigas Soup (AKA: meatball soup) recipe that I decided to share another family favorite – Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Kale. Seriously, this soup is the ultimate comfort food soup…and it absolutely ridiculously easy to make! Yum!
Sausage Soup Recipe: Italian Sausage with White Beans and Kale
- 1 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (if you like spicy like we do, go for the spicy Italian sausage instead of mild)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I use way more)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cups of beef broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, undrained
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 2 cups kale - packed, rinsed and torn **I used spinach this time because I had some and it's just as yummy
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown sausage with garlic. Stir in broth, tomatoes and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans with liquid and zucchini. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- Remove from heat, and add spinach. Replace lid allowing the heat from the soup to cook the spinach leaves. Soup is ready to serve after 5 minutes.
I also grate some fresh Parmesan cheese over the top and serve with garlic bread or breadsticks.
Looking for more soup recipes? I’ve got them! You can also check out my Soups on Pinterest board. Now let’s see your favorite soup recipe! Include a link in the comments below…I’m always looking for new ones!