Since the holidays are here, you know I’ve been doing a lot of cooking. I have lots of new recipes to share! Here’s the thing about recipes: you start with one and then you use it to create new ones. Or just get creative and put spins on them. You find a recipe that you love, and then use it to make variations of the same depending on who you are making it for and what you have on hand. That is where these sandwich ideas came from…from a recipe for Ham & Swiss Sliders from King’s Hawaiian.
Sandwich Ideas: Ham & Swiss Rolls
- 12 Slices of deli honey ham
- 6 Slices of swiss cheese, halved
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise or horseradish
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package (12 count) King's Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls
- Spread mayo or horseradish onto 1 side of roll. Place a slice or two of ham and a slice of swiss cheese in roll. Replace the top of the rolls and bunch them closely together into a baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together poppy seeds, dijon mustard, melted butter, onion powder and worcestershire sauce.
- Pour sauce over the rolls, just covering the tops. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Uncover and cook for additional 2 minutes until tops are slightly browned and crisp. Serve warm.
If you are serving these at a party, here's how to keep them warm. After baking, place the sliders into a crock pot. Adjust crock pot temperature to keep warm and they stay good for hours!
Now I used horseradish when I made them and it gave them quite a kick. I loved it, as did most of the adults; the kids however did not.
I made them again for the kids for lunch one day. I halved the recipe, used mayo, and baked them without the sauce on top. The kids LOVED them.
Next I want to try them with turkey and provolone. Oh yum! I can’t wait to try these with a variety of cheeses and meats.
See? One recipe that can be made several different ways! If you are looking for more sandwich ideas, try my Grilled Cheese with Apples and Bacon or my recipe for the Best Grilled Cheese EVER. Ialso have a recipe for a Feta Aioli sandwich spread that will make you want to eat it right out of the bowl and a recipe for a Gouda and Green Onion sandwich spread that is really good-a! Still want more sandwich ideas? Check out my board for Sandwiches on Pinterest.