If you are somebody that loves to cook, than you have a recipe that is yours. What I mean is that you and only you can make it. It’s the recipe that people expect you to bring anytime you come to a function. The one you won’t give out to family and friends because you don’t want them stealing your thunder. It’s your claim to fame recipe, and you guard it like it’s priceless. Which it is. To you. To everybody else, it is da bomb. Mine is my Upside Down Pumpkin Cake recipe.
Warning! If you are a family member, quit reading now! You cannot have this recipe! For anybody else, here it is….
Upside Down Pumpkin Cake
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt to taste
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix with pudding
- 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 13X9 inch baking dish with parchment paper (make sure that it overlaps on all sides because you need to flip the cake after it cools).
- In a mixing bowl, blend pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves, salt, sugar, eggs and milk. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle dry cake mix and nuts over the batter. Pour melted butter over the cake.
- Bake for 60 minutes and let cool. The cake will be "liquidy" at first, but will solidify as it cools. Once it cools, place a serving platter on top of the baking dish and flip it over so that the "crust" is on bottom. Serve with whipped cream.
Usually I make my cake without nuts because Jason doesn’t like them. It tastes good either way.
I swear, once you serve this, you will never have to make another pumpkin pie again! People will be begging for this pumpkin cake every Thanksgiving!
If you decide to try it, let me know how it turns out and what you think. And if you love pumpkin, try my two ingredient pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bars, and make sure to check out my Pumpkin Recipe Roundup. Still want more? Check out my All Pumpkin, All The Time board on Pinterest.