I wish that the kids would put me on a mommy time out. For bad behavior. Or whatever. All I know is that I would really love a mommy time out. Some days I’d actually beg for a mommy time out if we are being honest. Really.
You know how they say that when you put your little ones on time out, the length of the time out should be your toddler’s age, but in minutes? If we use that same formula, that means I’d earn myself 39 minute time outs. And that I could really learn to enjoy!
But there are two different kinds of time outs for me: the fantasy ones and the realistic ones. Let’s start with the fantasy ones first. These time outs are much longer than 36 minutes, but they are fantasies so they can be as long as I want them to be.
Fantasy Time Outs:
- Vacation with hubby. Doesn’t matter where. Doesn’t matter how long. But really, we all know what would happen. We’d be gone for about half a day before I started whining about missing the kids and wanting to go home. And then one minute after I got home, I’d want to be on vacation again. But this is a fantasy, right? So it stays on the list.
- Vacation – Eat, Pray, Love style. But without the Pray adventure. Because let’s face it, living like that is work, not vacation. Not for me anyways.
- Spa day. Not just one or two treatments, I’m talkin’ the whole sha-bang from head to toe, front to back.
- Waking up late. Staying in bed until I feel like getting up. Having coffee on the patio, undisturbed. Going for a mani/pedi and lunch with friends. Then shopping. Coming home and taking a nap. Then going to dinner and drinks with hubby. And sleeping an entire night, uninterrupted.
- Laying on a white sand beach, next to bath temperature, crystal clear water. With an umbrella drink. Listening to reggae.
- Girls weekend away…in Vegas or Palm Springs.
Don’t those all sound great?!
- Going to the bathroom and/or taking a shower. Alone.
- Going grocery shopping. Alone.
- Vacuuming. Alone. Without a train of children at my heels that I try not to run over.
- Making dinner…with NO interruptions. Without a train of children at my heels that I try not to run over/burn/drop food or knives on.
- Watching Top Chef, Project Runway, True Blood, or Next Food Network Star…with NO interruptions.
- Reading a whole page of anything..with NO interruptions.
- Having a phone conversation…with NO interruptions.
- Enjoying a glass of wine…with NO interruptions.
- Having a real conversation with hubby…with NO interruptions.
- Hiding from the kids for 5 minutes…just to ensure a few minutes of peace and quiet…with NO interruptions.
What would your mommy time outs (fantasy or realty) be?
I wrote this post for Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop in response to Prompt #2: If you were put in “time out”, where would you want to be placed and why?