I absolutely, positively LOVE all things summer. The heat. The scents. Watching the kids play and remembering my summers as a kid. I’ve written recipes for hot summer days (like my Peach and Orange Sangria), fiction about summer, and I’ve even shared tips to help make it easier to get sunscreen on kids that don’t want to stand still long enough for you to do it. And I also love eating ice cream (year round, not just in the summer…but it does taste better on a super hot day!) See? I love summer.
I’m very excited to share my favorite chocolate ice cream recipe with you today.
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
This ice cream recipe is super simple to make, and I bet you have almost all of the ingredients on hand already. Just get your ice cream maker out and then get ready to swoon over the richest, creamiest chocolate ice cream you’ll ever try!
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch process preferred)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Kick This Recipe Up a Notch With Some Add Ins! Try these or any of your favorites:
- 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips or mini M&M's
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
- Place the cocoa and sugars in a medium bowl; stir until combined.
- Add the whole milk and use a whisk or hand mixer on low speed to combine until the cocoa and sugars are dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into freezer bowl of ice cream machine and let mix until thickened, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes of mixing, add in any additional ingredients.
And if you love summer as much as I do, make sure to visit my Summer board on Pinterest for lots of recipes, tips, and ideas to make summer even better.