I don’t know many people who don’t like homemade chocolate chip cookies…especially right out of the oven. They are warm, ooey gooey, and melt in your mouth. Yum.
Last Thanksgiving my sister-in-law made these homemade chocolate chip cookies and they were declared by many to be the BEST chocolate chip cookies that you may ever eat. She made two batches and not one of the cookies was left. They are that good.
You start by making browned butter, which might sound intimidating to you if you aren’t comfy in the kitchen. But don’t worry, this recipe is totally easy to make.
Why browned butter? The browned butter makes these cookies taste of caramel, makes them rich, and makes them melt in your mouth. The sea salt makes all of the flavors pop.
I originally shared this recipe at See Vanessa Craft, but I recently made them again and wanted to share them with you here, too.
The Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook 4-5 minutes, or until the butter starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl or using a stand mixer, mix together the butter and sugars. Mix in the egg, yolk, and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt. If the dough is really crumbly and not coming together you can add a teaspoon of milk. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide the dough into 18 balls. Break each ball into two pieces. Place one half on a lightly greased baking sheet, then place the other half on top of the first half. This makes your cookies big and fat!
- Sprinkle each cookie with sea salt. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until very lightly browned around the edges. The middles of the cookies will still be soft. Let cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes.
And if you’re a fan of cookies, I have lots of cookie recipes to share!
These Pretzel Cookies are another sweet and salty cookie – and a kid favorite.
Want other dessert ideas? Check out my board Desserts on Pinterest. I’ve also tried lots of dessert recipes that I’d make again – check out my Pinterest Recipes: Tried ‘Em And Loved ‘Em board on Pinterest.