Remember last month when I shared with you the best grilled cheese sandwich ever recipe? Well, I thought it was time to share another: my recipe for Grilled Cheese Bacon and Apple on Raisin Bread. I know, I know…it sounds crazy, right? But trust me on this one, it is YUMMY!
This recipe is based on a couple of recipes combined. One recipe was one I learned in Home Economics class when I was in 7th grade. The other comes from a recipe on Sargento’s website called White Cheddar, Granny Smith Apples and Smoked Bacon. Now the great thing about recipes is that you can tweak them and take bits and pieces from different ones to make them your own. And that’s what I’ve done here.
Sargento’s recipe creates a panini. They are yummy, but I don’t have a panini maker so I make it the old fashioned way – I flip the sandwich halfway through. Instead of using ciabatta bread, I use raisin and/or cinnamon swirl bread. No Granny Smith apples? No problem! Any apples will do, but the sweet and tart flavor of a Granny Smith sends this recipe over the top. And since I’m watching my calories, instead of using Sargento Deli Style Sliced Vermont Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, I use Sargento’s Ultra Thin Sliced Mild Cheddar Cheese.
So don’t be afraid to take this recipe and switch it up to make it your own!
Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Apple
- (Per Sandwich)
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 small Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
- Cracked pepper
- 2 slices raisin bread or cinnamon swirl bread
- 2 slices Sargento's Ultra Thin Sliced Mild Cheddar Cheese
- Cook bacon until crisp on low heat; drain on paper towels. Put apples into hot pan with 1/2 tablespoon bacon drippings and sautÃ© for 30 seconds; sprinkle with pepper.
- Spread apples evenly on top of a slice of bread. Place 2 slices cheese and two strips bacon on top of apples. Close sandwich with remaining bread slices.
- Grill the sandwich about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Let cool for 2 minutes, cut each sandwich in half and serve with fresh fruit.
Doesn’t it sound yummy? This makes a great lunchtime sandwich or even a great dinner sandwich! And you can make it your own…change up the meat, use different varieties of cheese, or use your favorite bread. The possibilities are endless!