Okay, I’ll be honest…I make a damn good grilled cheese sandwich. I can make good-old-fashioned-plain grilled cheese, churched-up grilled cheese and even add fruit to grilled cheese sandwiches. I love cheese, and there’s nothing better for a cheese lover than a kick ass grilled cheese sandwich…who’s with me? The sandwich I am about to introduce you to is very addicting, so only try it if you are willing to become addicted to the best grilled cheese sandwich EVER!
I should also add that this sandwich is a nod to Giada De Laurentiis’ grilled cheese with spinach and pancetta recipe out of her new cookbook weeknights with Giada. I say nod because she makes hers with pancetta, makes a spread for the middle, and cooks it as a panini. Too much work for me. So I changed it up to make it simple to make.
The kids love this new grilled cheese creation, I love it and even Jason, who is not a huge grilled cheese fan loves it. Try it out and let me know if your family loves it, too!
Best Grilled Cheese, Spinach, and Prosciutto Sandwich EVER!
- (Per Sandwich)
- 1-2 slices of proscuitto
- 2 slices of mild or sharp cheddar cheese (or your favorite!)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted spreadable butter
- Garlic salt to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- 4-6 spinach leaves
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Get a piece of tin foil and lay the prosciutto slices in a single layer on top of the foil. Bake until crispy and brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Cool for a few minutes and crumble. Set aside.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of butter on 1 side of both pieces of bread. Add the garlic salt and grated Parmesan cheese. Place one piece of bread in a heated skillet (butter side should be on the skillet). Top with the cheese, crumbled prosciutto, and spinach leaves. Put the remaining bread slice on top (butter side should be facing up).
- Grill the sandwich about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Let cool for 2 minutes, cut each sandwich in half and serve with fresh fruit.
Yummy, right? This makes a great lunchtime sandwich or even a great dinner sandwich! And you can make it your own…change up the meat, use different varieties of cheese, or use your favorite bread. The possibilities are endless!