Garlic bread. Seems like a super simple thing to make, right? You slap some garlic and butter on bread and throw it in the oven to toast. NO! That is not good garlic bread! I am going to share a garlic bread recipe with you that will make your taste buds rejoice! The kids will like it. The husband will like it. Anybody you serve it to will like it. But you may want to stay away from others after you eat it…this is not a breath-friendly recipe.
The Best Garlic Bread Recipe EVER
- 1 loaf of French bread, Italian bread, a baguette, or 6-8 slices of sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan & romano cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut bread loaf in half lengthwise, and then slice the two large pieces into 8 smaller pieces.
- Combine butter, garlic, basil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread over the bread.
- Sprinkle the top of the bread with all of the cheeses.
- Bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm.
Grill it! Wrap each half in tin foil and throw it on a low grill for about 15 minutes or so (just continue to check it as it cooks to make sure it doesn't burn!)
If you aren’t a fan of fresh garlic, you can definitely substitute out the garlic cloves for garlic powder. You will need about 2 teaspoons of garlic powder (or about 1/2 teaspoon for every clove).
Switch up the cheeses and try a different variety or combination. I think that any ooey gooey cheeses would work well. Mozarella of course would be fantastic. Try adding in different herbs as well. I actually like adding more basil than this recipe calls for because I really love it.
I know it sounds super easy to make and it is. It’s also versatile because you can serve it with a soup and salad, any pasta dish (like Kludgy Mom’s Fast Spaghetti and Kick Ass Meatballs), or even with your favorite steak. Believe it or not, I have actually used it before to make yummy sandwiches (like a kicked-up BLT). Just make sure that the side of the bread with all of the yumminess on it is on the inside of the sandwich so it doesn’t all fall off!
Do you have a favorite garlic bread recipe? Feel free to leave a link in the comment section.