I’m a huge fan of un-stuffing stuffed recipes. One of our favorite un-stuffed recipes (coming soon!) is for Un-Stuffed Pork Chops. I’ve also shared a recipe for Bacon, Spinach, & Feta (Un) Stuffed Chicken that I’m now craving. But alas, Jason and I are both trying to eat more healthy and so I’ve been trying many new clean eating recipes. I found this Clean Eating Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe that I thought sounded yummy.
The problem with stuffed peppers is that you end up cutting it all up anyways. I’m all about quick and easy, so I made the clean eating stuffed bell peppers with chopped up bell peppers. It’s now more of a casserole, and is actually very similar to my Ground Beef and Bean Casserole.
This easy to make, delicious, and satisfying clean eating recipe is now a go-to recipe at our house. I love that you can add any veggies to it if you want to change it up. We are thinking fire roasted corn would be yummy, and maybe a jalapeño or two.
Clean Eating Stuffed Bell Peppers (But They Are Un-Stuffed!)
- 3 large red or green bell peppers
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (optional if you'd like more heat)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce OR 12 oz. jar of your favorite clean salsa
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated cheddar cheese (any cheese will work)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cut the tops off of the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Chop the bell peppers into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, sautÃ© the onions and peppers with the coconut oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook until just browned.
- Add the spices and corn and mix well.
- In a 13X9 casserole dish, pour the tomato sauce or salsa into the bottom of the dish.
- Add the bell pepper and turkey mixture to the dish. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh, chopped cilantro and serve.
Don’t these clean eating stuffed bell peppers that are really un-stuffed sound good? They are really good, and good for you!
Now here’s the deal, I LOVE cheese. It’s the one thing I can’t do without. Jason on the other hand could live the rest of his life without ever eating cheese again. He asked me to make the recipe without cheese. Crazy! So I only sprinkled cheese on half of the casserole. You can see what it looks like in the picture below.
And if you are already eating healthy and have your sexy, or just looking for a super delicious casserole full of calories, I’ve got tons of casserole recipes here and on my board Casseroles on Pinterest.