We are big fans of yummy cheesy potato casserole. Like this Buffalo Chicken and Cheesy Potato Casserole. Or these Baked & Loaded Mashed Potatoes. And don’t forget tater tot casseroles…like my Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole and this Dinner Tater Tot Casserole. So when I stumbled across this cheesy potato casserole recipe at The Midnight Baker, I decided to give it a shot.
Crockpot Sausage & Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 1 pkg (14-16 oz) kielbasa, sliced into quarter inch pieces
- 32 oz bag tater tots (try the onion ones!)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2-3 large green onions, chopped
- Place half the tater tots in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Layer half the sausage slices on top of the tater tots.
- Layer half the cheese over the sausage slices.
- Repeat for next layer.
- Pour cream over top, cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle bacon and green onions over the top. Add extra cheese if you'd like too!
It’s definitely quick and easy to throw together (throw it together the night before) and my family all liked it. My casserole was ready in less than four hours, so if your crockpot cooks fast, you may want to adjust the time.
I also wanted to share a couple of tips…
See that super crispy bacon and those green onion roots?
Well I oven fried the bacon, and there was no mess to clean up except to throw away the greasy tin foil.
As for the onion roots, don’t throw them away! I haven’t bought green onions in forever. Why? Because I just keep regrowing them! You can learn how to regrow green onions, celery, and more here.