I’ve shared lots of family recipes here, like my Dad’s favorite 7-Up Cake, my mom’s cake recipe, and my sister’s Buffalo Chicken Dip. Today I’m going to share one of my husband Jason’s favorite desserts that his mom used to make for him. It’s a caramel recipe that you will love if you’re a caramel lover. This is one of those recipes you can take to a party and everybody will ask you for it. It’s my mother-in-law Mellie’s Carmelita recipe.
It’s quick and easy to make and adults and kids alike love it. It’s very rich, so cut it into small pieces. The original recipe didn’t call for coconut, but Jason and I thought it would be a yummy inclusion and we were right!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate, but you can use whatever your family prefers)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 6-8 ounces of caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the first six ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pat the mixture into a 9x13 pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the caramel and flour. Drizzle the caramel over the top of the oatmeal crust. Top by sprinkling the chocolate chips, walnuts, and coconut on top.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 20-25 minutes.
Sounds easy and delicious, right? But beware: these bars are highly addicting. I’m not even a huge fan of caramel and this caramel recipe has caused me to gain several pounds since I can’t stop eating it once I make it!