With all of the holiday parties and get togethers, it’s hard to eat healthy throughout the season. So while I rarely do this, I’m going to share a healthy side dish – my recipe for Brussels Sprouts and Bacon.
The original Brussels sprouts and bacon recipe that I make calls for much more bacon than this version, and I also added pine nuts to it. If you are leary of the bacon’s extra calories and fat, you can either use turkey bacon or leave it out completely!
Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
With Leeks And Pine Nuts
Quick Note: I know this Brussels sprouts and bacon recipe looks like it will take a lot of time because it has a lot of steps…not to worry! It looks like a whole lot more work than it actually is, I promise.
- 16 ounces fresh Brussels sprouts (trust me, you don't want to use frozen Brussels sprouts for this recipe!)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 strips bacon, each cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large (1-pound) leek
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Trim tough ends from Brussels sprouts and cut each sprout in half.
- Put the Brussels sprouts and water in a 12-inch skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat for 12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, put the pine nuts in a small skillet and cook on low heat for about 8 minutes (or until fragrant), stirring occasionally.
- Drain the Brussels sprouts and transfer to large bowl; set aside.
- In the same skillet that you cooked the sprouts i, add bacon and cook on medium 5 to 6 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- To the same skillet, add the sprouts back in with a 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Cook over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are browned, stirring frequently.
- While the sprouts are cooking, trim and discard the root and dark green top from the leek as well as any tough outer leaves. Cut leek lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide slices.
- Place the leek in a large bowl of cold water and using your hand, swish to remove any sand. Place leek in a colander and repeat the process with fresh water, changing water several times until sand is removed. Drain leek well.
- Remove the sprouts from the pan and keep warm. In the same skillet, heat olive oil on medium until hot. Add the pine nuts, leek, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and cook 12 to 14 minutes or until leek is tender and browned, stirring frequently.
- Add the bacon, Brussels sprouts, and vinegar; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Now I know that a lot of people don’t like Brussels sprouts, but this Brussels sprouts and bacon recipe may make you change your mind! Try it and let me know.
Looking for more quick and easy side dishes to make? Check out my board for Side Dishes on Pinterest.