A few years back, I went to a cookie exchange. It’s fun to get a bunch of different cookies, and pick up some new recipes. One of the girls brought what she called White Trash Popcorn. It’s addicting – in fact, Natalie from My Crazy Busy Life referred to it as crack, and I totally agree! I don’t know why its called White Trash Popcorn other than it’s white and you just throw a lot of stuff together and coat it with white candy coating. That’s all I can think of. Anyways, it’s the BEST POPCORN recipe – and how can you go wrong with candy popcorn?
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts (my kids don’t like peanuts so I use 1 cup of slivered almonds)
- 2 cups rice chex cereal
- 2 cups of pretzels
- 1 bag of buttered microwave popcorn
- 1 package of vanilla flavored Candiquik (you can find it on the bakery aisle of the grocery store)
- M&Ms or any other candy you want to throw in there
- Pop the popcorn as directed on the package.
- In a large bowl, mix together the nuts, cereal, pretzels, and popcorn.
- Prepare the Candiquik as directed on the package. Pour the melted candy coating on top of the other ingredients and mix until all of the pieces have the candy coating on them.
- Transfer to a piece of wax paper and lay out to cool for about 10 minutes. Break it apart and serve.
I’ve also made this recipe using melted white chocolate chips instead of Candiquik. You could also use chocolate too.
Now since it’s the holidays, I changed up the recipe and instead of peanuts, I made it with 1-1/2 cups of red & green peanut M&Ms instead of the nuts. Of course my kids (who remember don’t like peanuts) ate it up in about 2 minutes flat. It was a hit!
Heck you could just switch out the color of the M&Ms for every holiday and leave the rest of the recipe as is. Or maybe try almond or peanut butter M&Ms…the possibilities are endless.
Don’t be afraid to mix in any other ingredients that you think would taste good – this is one of those recipes you can make your own. I even found a Halloween popcorn with candy corns…I will be making that next year for sure.
Do you have any fun recipes to share?
For more easy holiday cookie/treat ideas, check out these other recipes:
I am giving away a MyMemories Software Suite! You can create your own online scrapbooks and albums, but you can also create blog headers, recipe cards, and so much more! Head over to read my My Memories review and enter to win!