This is going to be a rather long post; I apologize in advance. But I want to tell you all kinds of stuff before I go on vacation. The water! The sun! The boat! Relaxation! Sitting on the lake’s edge with my computer! Wait. What? No computer? Should we all start taking bets now to see how long it takes before I start having blogging withdrawals?! We are leaving early Sunday morning; I give it until noon
I mentioned that over this past week I had my 3 month blogiversary, posted my 100th post, AND got my 300 follower friend. I got a lot of emails from some of you asking me what my secret is to making it all happen so fast. So I’m gonna tell you all right now: I don’t have one.
Remember my post a few weeks back? Blogging Is Taking Over My Life!? I wasn’t kidding – I spend way too much time in front of the computer – it’s actually amazing that I have anything to even blog about!
I want to share with you some things that I’ve learned and put into action here. Maybe these are the things that helped me, maybe they aren’t. But I have been asking “big” bloggers (I’m talking those with 1,000 or more followers) how they got so many followers…and…how they handle them all. Also, I’ve read lots of “how to grow your blog” posts and such. Here’s advice from the “big” bloggers that talked to me (thank you!), some things I’ve read elsewhere, and some of what I’ve learned on my own. I’m not even a “seasoned” or experienced blogger, so please, take it for what it’s worth!
- Reply to comments. If someone leaves a comment, I try to reply to their email. If I don’t have their email address because it says “noreply” as their email address, I visit their blog and leave a comment. This was easy at the beginning when I only was getting a handful of comments, but now I’m getting sometimes over 50 a day and it’s a lot of work now. But I’ve developed relationships with people and I think that has contributed to my getting followers and keeping them. I think (hope) they will understand if I don’t respond to every comment or visit everyday. Honestly, I don’t know if I’ll be able to continue replying to all of the comments everyday. I’d personally rather visit their blog a few times a week and leave a comment there. When I visit a blog, I don’t expect to get a comment back unless I ask a question or something….what are your thoughts on this?
- Join a ton of communities (like Blog Frog (BF) and Twitter, just to name a couple), and try to visit occasionally. I have gotten a ton of followers from BF. I think it’s because you “talk” to people there and then they want to see what your blog is all about. Occasionally, I’ll start a discussion on BF about something I posted on my blog and include a link back to my blog. That draws people to your blog.
- On your blog, link up to other blogs. If I get an idea for a post from another blogger, I always give them the credit and link back to their blog when I post it. I know it seems like that may draw people away from your blog an to other blogs, but in my experience it’s been really helpful. I also make sure to tell the blogger that I did it, and sometimes they’ll even give me a shout out back, which of course sends their readers to my blog.
- Guest post if you get the opportunity! If another blogger asks you to write something to put on their blog, always take them up on it! When your post goes up on their blog, make sure to tell your readers about it too. Guest posting opens you up to an entirely new audience!
- This came from something I read about growing your blog: If you have word verification on or comment moderation (where you have to approve the comment before it’s posted), turn them off!! I have gotten a ton more comments left since I stopped the word verification and moderation. I can’t tell you how many blogs I visit and leave a comment, and when I’m clicking out of it, realize word verification was on. I don’t go back to re-enter my comment. So I think a lot of comments get lost that way. Since turning mine off, I have only gotten maybe 5 or 6 spam comments. I just delete them. No big deal! I’m not sure why comment moderation is a big deal, but I turned that off as well.
- Participate in memes. I do two on Wednesday, one on Thursday, and one on Friday. But I always tie them into my life, so they are about me. The memes seem to help because you get to be around so many bloggers that you may have not otherwise run into anywhere else.
- Ask questions and ask for help when you need it! I have a “tribe” – a few women that I go to with all of my questions, concerns, if I need advice, or just need to vent. Find a few people that you are comfortable with and develop a relationship and small, tight knit group of support.
- Content, content, content! Yes I’m a mommy blogger and I talk about poop, spit up, tantrums, and all of that. But I also talk about things that affect me not only as a mom, but as a woman too: mommy guilt (guilt in general), weight, being frumpy, infertility struggles…you get the idea. I want to be very clear on this point because I’m very proud of this: I have participated in only 2 follow-for-a-follow blog hops. I got maybe ten followers from them both. People that follow me have decided to do so because they enjoy the content of my blog. So that is also very important to success!
I’ll be honest, I put in a lot of hours everyday, a lot. It’s a very time consuming endeavour.
And there you have it! My not secrets! What advice do you have to share? What are your blogging secrets?
I received some new awards this week and I wanted to say thank you!! Thank you for thinking of me when you decided to pass along your award – I’m very humbled…and excited…to have received these awards! If you don’t already know these ladies, check out their blogs because they are fantastic!
And if you are in need of a good laugh or two, here are two posts that I ran across this week that I loved and wanted to share with you!
Naomi over at Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip will have you ready to start training for Momolympics! She’s got 12 categories to test your mommy-ness. It’s kinda like the Iron Man for moms! It’s titled “Momolympics Tryouts Begin on Tuesday”.
Nolie and Tobei over at Nolie’s Place posted this a couple of weeks back – how did I miss telling you about this last week?! It’s a hilarious post about yelling at the kids…I laughed out loud! It’s titled “Parent Tourette Syndrome”.
And so it goes…