This mashed potato topped meatloaf recipe is always a hit at my house. It is easy to make and can be put together the night or morning before you plan on serving it for dinner.
You know I love taking shortcuts where I can, and this meatloaf recipe is no exception. No onions to cut or garlic to mince! And I buy frozen mashed potatoes to save time (like Ore-Ida Steam & Mash Russet Potatoes) that you just pop in the microwave for ten minutes and then mash the way you normally would. For the potatoes in the picture below, I just added milk, butter, and salt and pepper, but often times I’ll also add shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions. You can make the potatoes to your family’s taste!
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chili sauce
- ½ cup bread crumbs, panko, or rolled oats
- 1packet onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic (find it in the produce section)
- Leftover mashed potatoes or Ore-Ida Steam & Mash potatoes, prepared
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a meatloaf pan or 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients until well mixed. Spoon mixture into meatloaf pan or baking dish and shape to form a loaf. Top the loaf with the mashed potatoes and smooth the top.
- Bake at 350 for 60 - 75 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Now you might be wondering why put mashed potatoes on top of the meatloaf? They get a crispy top and absorb some of the meat loaf flavor. It is yummy…try it! If you’d prefer to make the mashed potatoes separately, try my Loaded & Baked Mashed Potatoes. Because really, is there anything better than meatloaf and mashed potatoes?!
Like this meatloaf recipe, I share lots of quick and easy to prepare recipes here. Feel free to take a look. For even more recipes, check out all my pins on Pinterest…especially my Pinterest Recipes: Tried ‘Em & Loved ‘Em board.